TRENTON – In a major legal victory for the State and New Jersey's environment, a federal appeals court today ruled that PennEast, a private company, cannot condemn State-owned lands in order to build part of its planned 116-mile natural gas pipeline across New Jersey, Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal announced.
Issued by the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the decision reverses an earlier district court ruling that had allowed PennEast to condemn approximately 40 parcels previously and permanently preserved for recreational, conservation and/or agricultural uses through State tax dollars. Agreeing with New Jersey's arguments, the Third Circuit held that, under the Eleventh Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the State is immune from condemnation lawsuits by private parties, including pipeline companies. (Under the legal doctrine of sovereign immunity, the State cannot be sued by a private entity without its consent.)
More on Jersey Desk
- New Jersey: ICYMI: Unemployment Rate Edges Lower in August to 3.2%
- Intalytics Taps INRIX to Provide Retailers with Best-in-Class Traffic Data for Decision Analysis
- Registration Open: ACI's 10th Annual New York Economic Sanctions Forum Dec. 10-11 New York City
- Olympic Medalist Monica Aksamit Sets Out on 2020 Olympic Quest
- Official Launch of ExhibitDay.com
"We will not hesitate to stand up to private companies when their actions violate the law—or, in this case, the U.S. Constitution," said Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal. "From the very beginning, we have made clear that the Eleventh Amendment prohibits private pipeline companies like PennEast from condemning state properties for private use, and we're pleased that the Third Circuit agreed with our position. This is great news for New Jersey and the environment."
In issuing its ruling, the Third Circuit held that the federal Natural Gas Act – which PennEast argued allowed it to condemn all needed properties along the path of its proposed pipeline – does not overcome New Jersey's sovereign immunity under the Constitution.
Latest on Jersey Desk
- Mobile Cannabis Lounge Tours Land in Los Angeles
- REV•1 Engineering® Takes Early Phase Medical Device Development To The Next Level
- Pre-construction pricing available now at Nobility Crest
- Paul Romer, Nobel Prize Recipient for Economic Sciences, joins Worldwide Speakers Group
- The Pet Gal Named One of Top Austin Area Women-Owned Businesses for 2018 Total Revenue
- New World Record Efficiency with Flexible CIGS Solar Cell
- Habitu8 Named Official Video Partner for National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- Edison Chamber of Commerce Welcomes Disney Institute to Edison, NJ
- Rook Coffee's Pumpkin Style Hot Coffee Is Back!
- Spreading Free Smiles: Dental Clinic. Costa Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- The Latest in In Vogue Women's Accessories
- Fall Semester Class Schedule at BrainStorm Tutoring
- ICYMI: New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy's Message To India: New Jersey and India - There is No Better Place for India's Innovative Businesses Than New Jersey
- The Relevancy Group releases The Relevancy Ring 2019 Customer Data Platform (CDP) Buyer's Guide
- CME Symposium- Management of LDL-C-Cholesterol: Taking the Next Steps
- CME Symposium- Narcolepsy in Children: Addressing the Challenges and Improving the Outcomes
- PiCAN3 CAN Bus HAT for Raspberry Pi 4 with 3A Power Supply And Real-Time Clock
- Custom Pak Solutions doubles down as your All-in-One System Integrator of Packaging Solutions
- The Patient Activation Measure® (PAM®) Assessment to be Incorporated into Select CMS Alternative Payment Models
- New Website from "The Addictiveness Doctor" Launched Explaining Root Causes of Addiction!