Avoid Unnecessary Travel during the Storm
TRENTON – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) Commissioner Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti today issued a commercial vehicle travel restriction on portions of I-78, I-80, and I-287 starting at 12 midnight tonight.
The winter storm is expected to produce difficult travel conditions across the northwest portion of the State due to accumulated snow and ice that will cause limited visibility on the roadways and disrupt snowplow operations, especially during the morning and evening commuting period on Monday, December 2.
NJDOT is prepared and coordinating our response with our regional transportation partners and the New Jersey State Police to ensure the safety of all travelers. Ice and winds could bring trees and branches down on roadways. NJDOT crews have tree-clearing equipment available to remove debris from state highways to ensure plows, emergency personnel and utility companies can get through.
More on Jersey Desk
- 303 NETWORKS Celebrates 10-Year Anniversary
- All You Need To Know About Cruises Departing From New York and New Jersey
- Waco Family & Faith International Film Festival Launches with the Goals to Empower the Creative Spirit and Celebrate All
- Former Brookstone and Home Depot Canada CEO Joins CEO Coaching International
- NATP announces its annual 2020 Conference
Commercial Vehicle Travel Restriction
The restriction applies to the entire length of all Interstate Highways in New Jersey including:
- Interstate 80, both directions from the Pennsylvania state line to exit 43 (I-287) Interstate 78, both directions from the Pennsylvania state line to exit 29 (I-287) Interstate 287, both directions from exit 21 (I-78) to the New York border
The commercial vehicle travel restriction in New Jersey applies to the following vehicles:
- All tractor-trailers Empty straight CDL-weighted trucks Passenger vehicles pulling trailers Recreational vehicles Motorcycles
The restriction DOES NOT apply to:
- New Jersey Turnpike Garden State Parkway Atlantic City Expressway
The Department is reminding motorists:
- AVOID UNNECESSARY TRAVEL during the storm Consider Telecommuting tomorrow, if possible If you must drive and road conditions deteriorate, GET OFF THE ROAD somewhere safe and wait it out Always STAY CLEAR of plows and spreading trucks. If they are behind you, let them pass DO NOT PASS between trucks that are in a plow formation Be patient and use caution
More on Jersey Desk
- Wuhan coronavirus: Are You Ready for the SHTF?
- FMI Foundation Honors Eggland's Best with Gold Plate Award
- World Encephalitis Day 2020 Encephalitis Conference
- Heritage at Highland Park to host model grand opening weekend
- Light Up My Yard: Yard Decor to Elevate Your Outdoor Space
In order for NJDOT and our regional and local transportation partners to safely and efficiently clear roadways of snow and ice, motorists need to Clear the Roads so We Can Clear the Roads.
NJDOT will deploy our Incline Package assets on I-280 and I-78 at Jugtown mountain (between Exits 7 and 11), which includes pre-positioning towing assets, NJDOT Safety Service Patrol (SSP) trucks, and coordination with New Jersey State Police.
NJDOT will be using Variable Message Signs throughout the storm to provide updates. Once conditions improve, NJDOT will lift the Winter Weather Congestion Alert.
Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news and updates follow us on the NJDOT Facebook page or on Twitter @NJDOT_info.
Latest on Jersey Desk
- Air Duct Cleaning NJ - Why Should I Clean my Home Air Ducts?
- What is Windshield Molding and Does it Need to be Replaced?
- TD Bank Ranks First in Customer Satisfaction Among National Banks, According to J.D. Power
- Signature Tracks and Downtown Music Publishing Announce Strategic Partnership for Scoring Film, Television, And Advertising
- Arctic Glacier Expands in Indiana with Acquisition of Superior Ice Company in Indianapolis, IN
- Interactive Touchscreen Solutions, Inc. Takes Ward Over Security Integrations with Direct 'Access' Visitor Management Solutions
- Newark CTE Network Selects Healthcare Chair
- Insurance Restoration Specialists, Inc. Names New Vice President
- AutoQuotes Appoints New Chief Product Officer
- The Legacy of Jack LaLanne, The Godfather of Fitness, Introduced to a New Generation
- Viscosity North America Welcomes Two More From the Oracle ACE Program: Gary Gordhamer & Sean Scott
- Bernie and Biden, Neck and Neck in the Garden State
- Ricoh announces compact, lightweight, high-performance telephoto zoom lens for use with 35mm full-frame digital SLR cameras
- Jerry W. Conaty honored by Hometown Heroes
- Vulcan Boot Camp Receives 2019 Savannah Award
- Golf Gum® and the Liquid Core® Delivery System, Capable of Fueling Better Scores, Announce Debut of SPACE STATION® Distribution Device at PGA Show
- MobilDrTech, Inc. enhances their medical product line with Acumentrics' Pack-Power™ System
- W.J. Castle, P.E. & Assoc., P.C. (CASTLE) has been honored by New Jersey Alliance for Action as a 2019 Distinguished Engineering Award Recipient
- Broccoli City Reveals 2020 Festival Lineup And Announces Its Return To The Nation's Capital For Eighth Annual Celebration Of Music, Art And Culture
- Prudential to oversee $820M in retirement assets for California plan